Sunday, October 12, 2014

Interior Oil Painting





I love how this turned out!!! I can't get over how well I think I did. I never thought I'd be able to make the grass look that realistic and make my house look unfocused in the background. In some areas it took a careful hand, and in others I was able to paint messy and freely. It was important for me to keep focus on the realism of the grass because it takes up about 85% of the canvas.
I started off with a quick sketch of what my mailbox and house will look like. I forgot to put down a wash first but that didn't interfere with anything, I just made the wash really light over top of my sketch so I could still see it. Once that dried, I started painting. I made my house look unfocused by not adding all the details in the picture. I kept messy paint strokes throughout the whole house, I think it turned out successfully. The last area I worked on was the grass. I used a small paint brush the entire time, it was very tedious. I made my brush strokes taller in the front and shorter in the back to show realistic perspective. This and my pineapple painting are a tie, I can't decide which I like the most. I think they both turned out really well and I'm proud of them both. It sucks that it takes oil so long to dry. I'll have to wait a while for it to dry if I want to enter it into a contest any time soon. If I get another chance to enter into a contest, I'll probably enter this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment